Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Done Nursing


I am officially finished nursing Kambria. These two faces represent how I feel about it. In some ways I think it's fabulous, but for other reasons, I am very sad.
From the time Kambi started getting good at nursing (around 3 weeks) to the time that it started going downhill (around 3 months) it was wonderful. I really liked it! But then it just became a pain. She wasn't getting enough so she was cranky, and hungry more often. And she had to work so hard to get anything, which wasn't pleasant for me. That's when we started supplementing with formula. For a few weeks I would nurse her, then give her a bottle to finish her off. That worked really well, but she soon discovered that it was much easier to get food from the bottle. So while I nursed her she would turn her head and look for the bottle (I always had it on the table mate next to the couch). I was so determined to nurse her as long as I possibly could for 2 main reasons: A) I know it's better for her, and B) Breastmilk doesn't cost anything. So I continued to put up with how big of a pain it was. I even pumped so that she could still have my milk, but I wouldn't have to nurse her. Well, each time I pumped, I got less and less milk; usually around 2 ounces total. I really didn't like pumping, it always made me feel like a failure because my body wasn't producing what my baby needed. But I was really getting fed up with nursing.
And thus, I decided to stop completely.
And it's great! I don't feel tied down so that I have to take her everwhere I go. I can leave for more than 3 hours for things like, R.S. activities, shopping, Curt can take her during church so I can play the piano for primary, dates, etc. AND, I fit back into my pre-pregnancy garments and bras! No more toting around a nursing cover and looking for a private place to feed my baby while I'm in public. :)
I for sure want to nurse baby #2 and all subsequent babies. Hopefully my body will cooperate. But for now, I will enjoy all that comes from not nursing.

No comments:

Post a Comment