Sunday, September 27, 2009

This Just Made Me Smile

Yesterday I was at Wal-Mart handing over my arm and my leg that it costs for diapers and other such baby supplies when I had a sweet experience. Let me share.
While looking at diapers, a nice man that I was sharing the aisle with turned to me and asked me if he could ask me a question. This is how our convo went down:
Him: How old is your baby?
Me: Five months (smile :))
Him: My wife and I just had twins. Our son had to be in the NICU for a while, but he is now home with us and our daughter. He cries a lot because he was so used to his schedule in the hospital. Then our daughter sees the attention we give him and she has started crying more and louder too now. So, when do they start sleeping through the night?
Me: (noticing that this poor man looked SO exhausted, pointing to Kambi and shaking my head) Still not sleeping through the night. (Watching his face turn despondent at my response, and totally sympathizing with him). I know, it's so hard because it's so tiring! I can't imagine having two at once!
Him: Is there anything we can do to help them sleep longer?
Me: How old are they?
Him: They'll be a month on Sunday.
Me: Ya know, I think every parent wants to know the secret. (In my heart I was saying, "One month? Oh honey, don't kid yourself. You're not getting ANY sleep for at least the next few months!")

I gave him some hints that I've been given (none of which have worked for me yet). He also asked me when you can start playing with babies. I just thought it was so cute to see this brand new dad wondering about the sweet little people that just entered his life. It was fun to talk to another parent; I felt a certain camaraderie with this perfect stranger. Bless. his. heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment