Wednesday, September 2, 2009

If Babies Could Talk...

I'm feeling a little like a bad mom. Nursing took a turn down the "pain in the neck" road about a month ago. Every time I fed Kambi she would squirm and wiggle around, coming unlatched then getting back on again. Then she would be really fussy after we were done. Curt asked his pediatrician uncle about it, and he told us there are so many reasons for babies to be fussy after eating, it could be anything from over-eating to gas etc. So I tried not to worry too much, especially since there was so much going on for us at the time. When we got home from Disneyland it got pretty bad. She wasn't sleeping very well either and I was getting super frustrated. I tried so hard to not be upset, it's not like she was disobeying me or being difficult on purpose. But I found myself losing patience a lot. We were in between doctors because we had had some issues with the first clinic, and hadn't been able to get in to see the new dr yet. I suspected that something was wrong with my milk supply; we started trying to give her formula but she would have none of it. She also wasn't pooping very often. I thought she was constipated so I started giving her apple juice with a medicine dropper because she wouldn't take a bottle. That helped a little, but still she was pretty difficult. I was nervous about pumping because I had tried that about a month previous to all of this and she refused to eat from a bottle.
Finally I got her to take a bottle by giving her the apple juice from the bottle. Then we finally got her to eat some formula. So now that she was eating from a bottle, I pumped again. I discovered that my body is not making very much milk at all! Over the next few days I only got 2 to 5 ounces each time. My poor baby was just hungry! No wonder she was waking up every 3 hours at night! No wonder her naps weren't very long! No wonder she was working so hard to get something out of me when she nursed! She was starving!
It's been almost a week since we started supplementing her diet and it has made a HUGE difference! More is coming out of her because more is going into her :) She has been sleeping much better (although still not quite all through the night) and has just been so much happier overall. She even looks and feels chunkier! I really feel terrible for not figuring out sooner that for some unknown reason I'm not producing the food that my baby needs, but I feel worse for getting angry. This would be so much easier if she could just talk! Ha ha, I know it's not meant to be easy. I am learning so much from this little girl. She means the world to me and I'm so happy that this mystery was finally solved.

No comments:

Post a Comment