Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Thank you Dr. Weissbluth!!

Ok, so Curt and I were about at our wits end with not getting a good nights rest. We really felt like she was ready to be trained to sleep through the night. She's almost 6 monhs old! You know those emails I talked about a few posts ago? The ones from babycenter that give parents all kinds of tips? Well, we found one that actually worked! A few weeks ago we stopped feeding Kambria when she would wake up in the night. We wanted her body to get used to not eating for 10 or so hours because until that happened, we knew she would want to eat in the middle of the night. So for a while we would go in and put the binky in, pick her up and rock her, yadda yadda until she fell back asleep.
Then we read about Dr. Weissbluth's method of helping your child sleep through the night. It was basically a "cry it out" method, but a little nicer. He suggested that when the baby starts crying, you wait a couple minutes, then go in and pat your baby, reassure them, but don't pick them up! Spend just a minute or so with them and then leave, even if they are still crying. Then you wait 5 minutes and do the same thing. After that, you go in every 10 minutes until they are sleeping again. He said at the most it would take a week.
The first couple of nights, I would give her the binky and it settled her down really well. I didn't know if she was ready to go cold turkey without the pacifier. But then I realized, HELLO! If I keep giving her the binky, then she will keep needing it! So then we committed 100% to the new method. And you know what? It only took ONE NIGHT! She woke up at 4 and cried until 5. It was hard and frustrating, but since that night we have not had to go in and reassure her! A couple of times, she has fussed, but only for a minute and then has been able to soothe herself.
HALELUJAH!
She now sleeps for 10 or 11 hours consecutively and it is wonderful! I only hope that she keeps it up, and that it wasn't a fluke. Now if only I could train MY body to sleep through the night again :) I'm so used to waking up in the night (it's been over 6 months since I have slept through the night: the last month of my pregnancy I would wake up every time I needed to roll over), that I've been waking up even without her crying. But I am hopeful that it won't take too long.
HOORAY! I'm so happy that my baby has learned how to sleep though the night. I say, it's about time!!

2 comments:

  1. If this is a book, I'd love to look at it and PROMISE to return it! Let me know. Glad you got her sleeping!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray! I'm so glad I will have you (and your mommy blog) for tips when I'm going through these same things... :)

    ReplyDelete